2020 has been very interesting, to say the least. Every one is having their share of normal life crises along with all the world traumas and difficulties. Public places are shutting down left and right to avoid further spread of the COVID-19. My supermarket was cleared of most meats, eggs, beans, rice, and other non-perishables. I can only assume that other stores have had similar scenarios. I send out my best wishes to everyone and their families during these hard and unusual times.
During this hard time I thought it would be a great opportunity to give you a plan of action for your health at home. That looks like many things. Making sure you have the right nutrition. It can be so easy to slip into binge eating or unhealthy snacking. I found myself wanting to eat more while being stuck at home. Not really because I was hungry but because I was just bored. I also want to encourage you to stay positive and motivated to achieve your goals. Every one is kind of taking it hard when it comes to staying active. With all the gyms being closed and social distancing taking place, what is there that you can do? For most of us the answer will have to be home work outs.
Where ever you are and what ever you do, let’s be purposeful in our days and keep positivity in our minds.
Being cooped up at home can be challenging for some of us. I struggle with sitting at home and finding things to do. I got laid off of work along with so many of you so I understand. Sitting at home all day trying to find things to do can be hard. I got to the point where I had to sit down and make a list of how I wanted to better use my time. I wanted to keep up all the hard work I have put into my fitness and nutrition routine. Being stuck at home with a lack of motivation is not going to stop me from achieving or at the very least maintaining my goals and progress so far. I decided I wanted to use this time of isolation to grow myself so when the world is healthy and opens back up again, I will be stronger than ever. Because your mental health and strength is just as important as everything else. Here is what my new daily routine consists of:
- Working out. I like to start off in the morning working out because it helps push me forward and motivate me for the rest of my day.
- Read at least one chapter of a book. I have a lot of personal growth and business books that have been on my to read list for a while. Now is the perfect opportunity to teach yourself something new. But it doesn’t have to be something educational if you don’t want. Maybe you can just read a book for entertainment. If you don’t have any books right now, maybe you can order some, buy e-books, or try audio books online.
- I am in the progress of starting my business and brand here with you! Even when you have all the time in the world it can be hard to sit down and focus on the things that matter. We all get a little lazy and find trouble motivating sometime. So I put on my list that I am going to do at least one thing a day that will help and progress my work. This doesn’t have to be a business for you! But if you have something that is important to you that may be getting neglected a bit. Now is a great time to give it some love.
- Journaling. This doesn’t mean like a diary! It can mean whatever you need it to be. Every day sit down and I take out my journal and I use it as a form of therapy and self searching. If you find yourself struggling with something then write it in a form of a question and then try to answer it. Go deeper into why you do or feel some of the things you do. Write questions about things you feel towards situations, questions you have about goals in your life. The purpose is to search and learn about yourself. A lot of people think they know themselves, but when I started doing this I was surprised to find that there was so much I didn’t realize about myself and why I do the things that I do. You can even apply this to your fitness and nutrition goals!
- Meditate. Another mind progressing action. It can help you de-stress, fall asleep, improve yourself on something you want to be better at, and so many other things. There are lots of great podcasts out there for meditating. Go listen to a few and find out which you like the best!
- Other things I like to be mindful of during this time is to be drinking more water, conscientious about the foods I am eating, and I like to try to limit my phone and TV time. I personally am just trying to do more things with my day than sit on the couch. I feel better when I feel like I have had an accomplished day and was productive. But that’s just me!
Now am I perfect at all of these all the time? Of course not! It is great to have a plan of action and stick to it as best as you can, but if you can’t then that’s okay. Go into your plan doing your best so that you can feel accomplished with your end of day results.
Healthy Foods to Stock Up On
You may find yourself feeling bored, but don’t let that boredom turn into impulsive snacking. Remember to be eating nutritious foods. Here are some foods that are not only great additions to your diet but can also last you a while!
Grains and Such
Grains are packed with great nutrients and some fiber to help keep you feeling full and healthy. They are also great additions to many meals. The trick here is to try to stick to whole grain foods.
- Whole grain pasta- who doesn’t love pasta? It has a great shelf life and can be served with all kinds of healthy options like veggies and proteins.
- Whole grain bread- bread can be frozen and still be good for months later.
- Popcorn- a yummy snack. I would buy it in the kernel version however and pop it yourself on the stove. Be mindful if you’re choosing to add some salt or butter. It’s healthier without it but we all got to indulge a little sometimes! 🙂
- Whole grain crackers- if you need a mid day snack, Triscuits are a great option. Plus they taste great with a bit of cheese and maybe some turkey? Go be creative with your cracker creations!
- Grains- the healthiest grains out there right now for you are quinoa, brown rice, and steel cut oats. They’re very versatile and can be put in lots of different meals and recipes.
Fruits and Vegetables
While most fruits and veggies go bad quickly, there are other alternatives for you to still get the great health benefits that they have to offer you.
- Canned fruit- things to watch out for is to make sure they’re canned in 100% fruit juice, and that they have no added sugars.
- Freeze dried fruit- great to snack on and for throwing in trail mix or what ever else your heart desires.
- Dried fruit- watch out for ones that are coated in sugar.
- Frozen fruit- you can freeze some yourself or buy them already frozen.
- Fruits that last a while- Apples, oranges, and even unripe bananas are great options for you to snack on through the week.
- Canned veggies- watch out for high sodium.
- Frozen veggies- also want to watch out for high sodium.
- Veggies that last a while- cauliflower, brussels sprouts, broccoli, and peppers should last a few days. Potatoes, onions, and carrots can last you a bit longer as well.
Protein is really important for you! Especially if you are going to be working out, consuming protein will let you maintain your muscles.
- Beans- packaged, dried, or canned. If you get canned beans try to get ones with no added sodium.
- Nuts and seeds- great for snackin’.
- Eggs- eggs are great because they can last up to three weeks in the fridge.
I also want to throw supplements into the mix. If you’re having a hard time getting all the nutrients your body needs or you are targeting nutrients that will improve your immune system then supplements are a great option to look into.
Having a healthy mixture of all these foods will help keep you full and healthy. The important thing now is to keep your immune system strong and your tummy happy.
At Home Workouts
Your biggest struggle may be finding motivation to do home workouts… or you may be lost on what to even do at home. The good news for you is that lots of fitness apps are offering free at home work outs to help everyone out during this difficult time.
Here are some of the free fitness apps you can check out today:
- Tone It Up
- Daily Burn
- Nike Training Club
- 7 Minute Workout
- Adidas Training by Runtastic
- Down Dog
- Gold Amp’s
Above you have a variety of different options to chose from, from yoga, HIIT, strength training, and more. I think it is so great of these apps to offer extended free trials for people.
We are living through tough times right now and things can be really unpredictable. The best thing we can all do is stay healthy and happy as best as we can. Taking care of your mind and body are essential. Eat healthy, give your body some love by working it out, and do something to grow your mind and bring yourself some peace. We will pull through this together.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a dietician. The information I provide is based on my personal experience, and scientific studies. Any recommendations I may make about weight training, nutrition, supplements or lifestyle, or information provided to you through email or on this website should be discussed between you and your doctor because working out involves risks. The information you receive in our emails, programs, services and products do not take the place of professional medical advice.